Dr. Jenna's Weight Loss Plan
Approximately thirty percent of the American population is obese and that percentage increases even more dramatically when you add in folks who are overweight. It is unfortunate that there continues to be such a stigma around weight with many people believing that it is purely related to how many calories you eat versus how many you burn. The truth of the matter is that there are many factors that go into weight gain and weight loss. Diet and exercise most certainly play a large role in weight management but they are only part of the picture. For instance, in the environmental medicine world there is a whole category of toxins that have been named "obesogens" because research is finding a high correlation of these toxins with obesity. Dr. Jenna looks at the whole person when it come to weight management and pays special attention to the emotional aspects that weight issues often present with.
Top 3 causes of weight gain and obesity
- Stress: Stress puts the body into fight or flight mode, like running from a bear. If you are constantly "running from a bear" (aka stressed out) your body will want to hold on to all the energy reserves (fat) it has because who knows how long you'll need to run!
- Environmental exposures: Toxins, viruses, bacteria, molds, electromagnetic frequencies (EMF).
- Lack of optimal foods and movement in your life.
The initial investigation
- Assess stress levels (mental, emotional, and physical) and measure adrenal hormone levels and balance.
- Assess potential environmental exposures, particularly obesogens, and levels of toxins in the blood or urine.
- Assess diet and lifestyle for potential improvements.
- Lifestyle changes to decrease stress along with counseling and personalized stress management techniques.
- Individualized dietary and movement plans for optimal weight management. Dr. Jenna often uses a ketogenic or anti-inflammatory diet program to address weight loss and detox at the same time.
- Nutritional supplements and herbs to support adrenal glands, detox, digestive health, and/or nutrient levels.
- Individualized detox protocols