Dr. Jenna's Hormone Balancing Plan
Hormones are used all over the body for many different functions. The most common hormones we think of are the male and female sex hormones of estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone. These hormones can have a dramatic effect on our health. In women, an imbalance of these hormones can lead to infertility, significant menopausal symptoms, PMS, painful or heavy periods, weight gain, low libido, anxiety, and fatigue. In Men, they can lead to fatigue, low stamina, low libido, and infertility. Hormones are a big deal in the environmental medicine world because many environmental toxins are what we call endocrine (hormone) disruptors, the biggest endocrine disrupting culprit in our environment is plastic, when's the last time you touched some plastic?
Top 3 causes of hormone imbalance
- Chronic stress
- Lack of proper fats in the diet
- Heavy metal toxicity and other environmental toxin exposures
The initial investigation
- Assess diet for proper nutrients and fats which are building blocks for hormone production.
- Assess stress levels and sources of toxin exposure.
- Measure heavy metal levels in blood and urine.
- Assess hormone levels in the blood and/or saliva.
- High healthy fat and Anti-inflammatory diet along with Lifestyle changes to manage stress.
- Supplements and herbs to support the body's stress response and hormone balance
- Heavy metal chelation (removal) therapy and detox protocols.
- Bio-identical hormone replacement if necessary for a short term boost.