Dr. Jenna's Autoimmune Plan
Autoimmune disorders are becoming increasingly common. Put simply, an autoimmune disorder is when the body's immune system starts attacking certain normal cells in the body. For example, Hashimoto's is when the immune system attacks the thyroid, Ulcerative colitis is when the cells of the colon are attacked, and folks with Lupus may have any number of organs attacked such as the kidneys, liver, skin, or reproductive organs. My plan for treating autoimmune disease is different for each person, however, it always includes reduction of inflammation and balancing support for the immune system.
Top 3 causes of Autoimmune disease
- Food allergies and sensitivities that cause activation of the immune system.
- Lingering low-grade viral infections such as Epstein Barr Virus (The virus that causes mono) and cytomegalovirus.
- Heavy metal toxicity and other environmental toxin exposures.
The initial investigation
- Assess diet for inflammatory foods and assess sources of toxin exposure along with stress levels.
- Assess the immune system through a detailed history as well as blood work.
- Measure heavy metal and toxin levels in blood and urine.
- Anti-inflammatory diet and Lifestyle changes to manage stress.
- Supplements and herbs to support the body's stress response and balance the immune system
- Antiviral protocols that may include supplemental nutrients, herbs, diet changes, and hydrotherapy.
- Heavy metal chelation (removal) therapy and detox protocols.