Dr. Jenna's Insomnia Plan
Insomnia can be described as trouble falling asleep, trouble staying asleep, or both. The type of insomnia you have tells us a lot about what is causing it and how to treat it.
Top 3 causes of insomnia
- Cortisol (stress hormone) imbalance and increased stress in your life.
- Female hormone imbalance (often correlated with hot flashes)
- Blood sugar imbalances, particularly low blood sugar in the night time that wakes you up.
The initial investigation
- Assess stress levels and cortisol levels at night and throughout the day.
- Assess hormone levels and balance through blood or salivary lab testing.
- Assess labs for blood sugar levels as well as diet for potential blood sugar issues.
- Adrenal support through herbs or supplements to balance stress and cortisol along with lifestyle changes.
- Herbs, supplements, and nutrients to balance hormones.
- Diet protocol, herbs, and/or supplements for proper blood sugar regulation
- Relaxing nutrients and herbs to help with sleep until underlying imbalances are healed.