Dr. Jenna's Constipation Plan
Constipation is a slowing the the bowels that leads to less frequent bowel movements. Less than one bowel movement per days is considered constipation in the naturopathic world and ideally folks have 1-3 movements per day. Constipation can present as a reduced urge, straining, or feeling of incomplete bowel movements. The stool is often hard and pellet-like, but can also be loose but infrequent.
Top 3 causes of constipation
- Dehydration and low fiber intake.
- Bacterial imbalance in the gut leading to too many bad bacteria and not enough good bacteria.
The initial investigation
- Assess hydration levels and fiber intake.
- Assess diet for inflammatory foods.
- Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis (CDSA) testing to assess bacterial balance, parasites or other infections, gut inflammatory markers, and autoimmune markers.
- Increase water and fiber intake.
- Dietary changes to reduce inflammation in the gut.
- Ant-inflammatory supplements and herbs to heal the gut.
- Probiotics and live-fermented foods.
- Stress management strategies and supplements.